Sunday, August 08, 2010

It Used to Be the Catholics

(As DADVocate pointed out.)

It used to be the Irish.

It has been so many groups of people in the past (and present), you start to wonder why we have to go over this lesson again and again. As someone whose family is majority Irish-Catholic, though, it behooves me to place myself in the shoes of centuries gone by. While discrimination and persecution haven't come for me because of my ethnicity or religion, I know I have only to thank the timing of my birth.

The thing that gives me the most hope after reading about how disgusting some Americans can be is that we've been through all this before.

Hell, we're still going through it now.

The process is very, very messy.

And sometimes it takes a very, very long time to get over things. Which is why it is important for those of us who believe in the freedom of religion and the promise of America to say something now.

.

1 comment:

Leigh C. said...

Hell, I'm ashamed that my own people are involved in protesting the mosques & Islamic community centers. The discussion surrounding the one that will be near the WTC site is especially heated on my Queens synagogue's listserve, like too many of them have forgotten that AMERICANS died on 9/11, regardless of what their religion, races, or creeds were. People's Islamicism wasn't checked before Mohammed Atta and his minions rammed the planes into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon. In all of these protests against these houses of worship, no one stops to think that we are just as guilty of one-dimensional thinking as the 9/11 terrorists were. They mistook buildings as symbols of everything they thought was wrong with the world and to hell with whoever happened to be in those buildings when they were destroyed.

How are the protests against mosques and community centers any different?