Friday, September 10, 2010

And I Thought it was Just a Fun Commercial...

The Green Police are coming for you. Apparently municipalities are starting to monitor how much you're recycling and hand out rewards/penalties accordingly. I'm not really sure what I think about this one so i'm going to advocate both sides here.

Against Monitoring GO:
What in the hell, dude? Are you really going through my trash to see what I recycle? I'll be bluntly honest. I don't recycle anything that's energy negative (takes more energy to recycle than to create new). But at the same time, I reuse a hell of a lot of stuff from beer bottles to plastic containers of various shapes and sizes. Are you counting that in your little calculations? Didn't think so. Besides, you don't know what a resident should recycle unless you know what they buy. Information is going to be incomplete at best.

For Monitoring GO:
It looks to me like this information is ultimately being used to determine how much each residency is costing for garbage pickup. Yeah, it's screwed up that the government is backing any and all recycling (even of the energy negative variety), but the trash pickup is just playing the game as defined by rules they don't make. They do have the right to go through our garbage so if they really want to, I guess they can.

Like I said, I really don't know where I line up on this one but I guess ultimately I don't like that I have to line on one side at all here. And at least in the near future, I don't.

2 comments:

DADvocate said...

Next they'll be monitoring your urine flow and how much you defecate. Then'll they need to determine what dietary changes you need to make to minimize you sewage pollution.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

A. If people don't like it, they can direct their complaints to their city and county councilmembers who make the deals with the local sanitation companies.

B. New Orleans pays extravagantly for trash pickup by private contractors with zero way to determine how much trash is being collected. Hell, they have only estimates regarding how many homes are actually being serviced. So our cash strapped city is paying private enterprise for a service that is, quite literally, unaccountable. This causes unbelievable drama.

C. My household recycled 2+ tons of materials when I was in college. I had to take them to the center myself. In Glynn County, we had to pay for our own recycling, and pay for our own loads to the trash center, but the cost varied (trash cost more). In New Orleans, we just opened a pseudo recycling center not associated with a university.

D. I have zero problem with the folks who generate the most trash being charged more by the people who pick up their trash. This sounds like the start of a market based solution for that.

It may not be the best solution, but it is a solution.