Monday, September 06, 2010

Unsportsmanlike

I noticed something during the Purdue - Notre Dame game on Saturday that is still bothersome. From the Journal & Courier:

Marve dove into the end zone to celebrate his score but was immediately flagged for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.


I don't even remember seeing a flag during the broadcast, but there apparently was one. The xtra point was good, I reckon.

But I was incensed because the NCAA had changed the rules back in April to eliminate messages on players' eye black (like Tim Tebow's Gospel verses or Georgia tailbacks' "I Run/This State"); wedge blocks on kickoffs; and live ball fouls for excessive celebration.

That means when you dive into the end zone when no one is around you, it is considered taunting and may end up negating the score, at the official's discretion. This is, of course, another one of those terrible instances where one group of officials may call back a TD while another group might let something slide with a 15 yard penalty. I hate rules written so subjectively.

I thought Marve's touchdown was an example of that. And it would have been, if the year was 2011. That makes me feel better, but I wonder if that means this should be the somersault year of over-the-top touchdown celebrations. One last hurrah before the shoutin' begins.

.

No comments: